Latex mattresses have been around for quite some time. However, these mattresses are gaining popularity among the general public. Top quality all natural latex mattresses are more comfortable and longer-lasting than traditional mattresses. There are two kinds of latex mattresses: Talalay mattresses and Dunlop mattresses. Let’s take a closer look at how Talalay mattresses are made.
Talalay latex mattresses use the Talalay process to manufacture and produce the latex. This process uses the finest materials and produces the finest latex.
The Talalay process is as follows:
1. Rubber is taken from the natural rubber tree.
2. Liquid rubber is then whipped so that it becomes a foam-material. It is then poured into a mold.
3. The mold is closed and rods are inserts through the foamed rubber.
4. A vacuum is placed on top of the mold. This vaccum removes all air bubbles and pockets. It also distributes the rubber (in its liquid form) evenly throughout the mold.
5. The rods are turned on; they contain CO2 which freezes the rubber. This step is critical because it locks in the consistency.
6. Next, heat is sent through the rods. Heat provides an even temperature and delivers a consistent latex core that does not contain air bubbles, air pockets or uneven firmness.
The Talalay process does not use any chemical fillers or extenders in its products. There are a few products that are added to the rubber to convert it from a liquid to a solid material. These products are: soap, ammonia, zinc oxide and sulfur. There is a very small amount of these products in Talalay latex mattress, so these mattresses are still considered natural. Plus, the ammonia evaporates out of the finished product. The soap and the zinc oxide are washed out.
There are two main forms of Talalay latex: Blended Talalay latex and Natural Talalay Latex. Blended Talalay latex products contain 30 percent natural rubber and 70 percent synthetic rubber. Natural Talalay latex products do not use any fillers. These products use 100 percent latex rubber from the rubber tree. We use a Natural Talalay Latex top in our 9″ Talalay Latex Mattress.